International Conference on
Halal Food: Principles, Shariah Standards & Contemporary Issues
(3-4 May 2017 / 7-8 Sha‘ban 1438A.H)
Jointly Organized by
Faculty of Shari‘ah & Law,
International Islamic University Islamabad, Pakistan
in collaboration with
International Islamic Fiqh Academy
Organization of Islamic Cooperation Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Higher Education Commission Pakistan
Introduction of International Islamic University Islamabad
- International Islamic University Islamabad (IIUI) was established in 1980/1400 A.H.
- In 1985 the IIUI got the formal status of an International University and since then it is functioning as an independent administrative body under the Constitution of Pakistan.
- The President of Pakistan is the Chancellor of IIUI; Dr. Sulman Abdullah Aba Al-Khail is the Pro Chancellor and Dr. Ahmed Yousuf Al-Draiweesh is currently the President of International Islamic University Islamabad.
- The Board of Trustees of IIUI is comprised of 44 prominent dignitaries of the Muslim World.
- Currently the University has 9 Faculties, 42 Academic Departments and 6 Academies/Institutes. Around thirty thousand male and female students hailing from 50 different countries are enrolled in 131 academic degree programs of IIUI.
- The Government of Pakistan has allotted 1000 acre land for the construction of IIUI campus and the first phase of construction has now complete.
- International Islamic University Islamabad is a successful educational and civilizational project and it is one of the most prominent academic institutions in Pakistan due to its unique legal and constitutional position. International Islamic University Islamabad is now planning to expand its academic operations to introduce new departments and specializations. The objective is to develop the requisite human resource which can help in uplifting the overall condition of Muslim Ummah through bridging gaps between theory and practice.
Introduction of the Conference
Keeping in view the physical and intellectual health of human beings, Allah the Almighty has declared all hygienic and healthy eatables as permissible and lawful (Halal), whereas all filthy and unhealthy eatable were declared as impermissible and unlawful (Haram). It is an obvious reason that Muslim Jurists of all ages have conducted and demonstrated their study in articulating Shari‘ah rulings on permissible (Halal) and impermissible (Haram). In modern era, the trends in production and consumption of eatables and beverages have been drastically changed due to the agricultural, Sciences and technological advancements.
On the other hand, International Market of Halal commodities have been emerging into a vast market trade in which Muslim and Non-Muslim countries are participating freely and actively. This international trade, according to one research, has reached up to three trillion US dollars; therefore, it is mandatory to discuss different aspects and dimensions of this emerging area by arranging an International conference. This becomes unavoidable especially when certain newly emerged issues and challenges in the field extensive research is required. No such conferences have been held in Pakistan, therefore; it is very important to organize a conference of this level and prestige to fill the gaps.
International Islamic University Islamabad is one of the prominent Institutions that focus on the enhancement of Islamic Sciences. It is playing a very vital role in spreading knowledge particularly towards law, Shariah and Judiciary. Thus the faculty of Shariah and Law IIUI has decided to organize an international conference with the collaboration and cooperation of International Islamic Fiqh Academy Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and Higher Education Commission Pakistan. In consultation with international Islamic Fiqh Academy Jeddah, the conference’s topic has been finalized as, “Halal Food: Principles, Shariah Standards and Contemporary Issues”.
May Allah Almighty make it beneficial for all.
Objectives of the Conference
Among the main objectives of the conference are to:
- Define and explore the concept and significance of Halal Food in contemporary business industry along with their Shariah Standards;
- Analyze new challenges regarding nutrition in the light of academic, practical and industrial progress;
- Present Shariah Appraisal of modern scientific techniques related to the food industry in detecting contaminations and ensuring food safety;
- Assess the roles of legislative organs, judiciary, executive and research institutions in formulating adequate policies for Halal Food Sector in Pakistan;
- Raise awareness in society and the business community and the provision of halal food consumption, production and its trafficking;
- Promotion of Halal Food industry and production of halal food in line with teachings of the Sharī’ah.
Main Themes of the Conference
First Theme: Sharī‘ah standards on Halal Food
- The General Principles of Islamic Law regarding Halal and Haram Food?
- Causes of Prohibition of Food in Islamic Law
- Dignity of a human being
- Attributes and Conditions of Halal meat
- Attributes related to the Halal meat
- Attributes related to slaughtering
- Attributes related to the slaughterer
- Attributes and Conditions of the Halal Food- Other than Meat
- Rules for the Production of Halal Food
- Islamic System of Slaughtering
- Islamic Legal Maxims on Halal Food
- The Legal Status of Metamorphosis
Second Theme: Shariah View on Contemporary Issues in Halal Food Industry
- Islamic System of Slaughtering and Modern Methods
- Shariah Perspectives on Stunned Birds and Animals Slaughtering
- The Shariah Status of Imported Meat from Non-Muslim States
- Genetically Modified Products
- Halal Feed For Halal Food: An Exploratory Study of Legal And Regulatory Framework On Animal Feed
- Use Of Preservatives And Their Impact On Food
- Changes in Products Through Chemical Reactions
- Shariah Perspectives On Irrigation Of Crops Through Polluted Water
- Halal Food And Safety
- Bio-Safety And Security
- Congo Virus
- Use of Gelatin
- Use of Alcohol
- The Use of E-Codes
- Beverages and The Halal Logo
- Analysis on Methods of Determining Halal or Haram of Animals To Be Eaten
Third Theme: Modern Food Technology, Business and Halal Food Industry
- Halal Food Industry: Contemporary Issues And Challenges
- Islamic Parameters For Processing Food
- Halal Business and Industry
- Ethics Of Food Handlers Throughout The Supply Chain In The Halal Food Industry
- Halal Pharmaceutical Market: Issues And Challenges
- The Impact of Halal Food Industry on Economy
- Halal Food Industry and Global Market
Fourth Theme: Halal Governance Structure
- Towards A Halal Certification Market
- The Role of National And International Halal Certification Bodies
- An Overview Of Current Analytical Methods For Halal Testing
- Shariah Governance over the Production Process of Halal Food
Fifth Theme: Legislations and awareness on Halal Food
- Analytical Study of Legislations on Halal Food:
- Saudi Arabia
- Gulf countries
- Western Countries
- Analysis of Shariah Standards on Halal Food issued by various Fiqh Academies
- Halal Food and Consumer Protection Laws
- Halal Research, Awareness And Education
- Module Development of Halal Consumerism Education In Pakistan: Proposals
Guidelines for the submission of Research Papers
- The paper should be in one of the above mentioned areas of the conference.
- The researcher should abide by all the rules of research such as methodology and documenting references and sources.
- The researcher should pay due care to the language and method of the research.
- The research should not have been published in any periodical, journal or presented in any conference or event before or taken from any previous article or research.
- The foreign terms and names must be written in italic style.
- The research should be a maximum of 30 pages, including the bibliography on A4 size page in MS Word file.
- The references should be numbered consecutively. All citations should follow the Chicago Manual of Style and references should be given in footnotes.
- The following things must be provided along with research paper:
- Abstract (Softcopy)
- It should not be more than 300 words
- It should contain maximum two pages
- The first page should specify title of the research, name of the researcher, designation and affiliation of the institution and email address of the contributor.
- Brief CV (curriculum vitae) not more than one page. Copy of passport as well, if the contributor is from abroad.
- The abstract will not be considered, if the above mentioned things are not provided.
- Softcopy of the paper, if abstract approved.
General Rules and Specifications
- The research papers submitted for the conference are subject to review and evaluation by the academic committee of the conference.
- If the committee finds need to amend the research, it will return it to the researcher for proper amendments before its being put in final list.
- It would be permissible for the academic committee to reformulate the research content of researches received by it with the condition that it will not disrupt the research.
- The participated researches will not be returned to their authors whether approved for publication or not and the academic committee will not be under obligation to provide any justification for non-approval.
- Languages of the conference: Arabic, English and Urdu.
|Last date for submission of Abstracts
||15 February, 2017 / 17 Jamadi-ul-Awwal, 1438 A.H
|Last date for submission of Complete Papers
||25 March, 2017 / 26 Jamadi-ul-Saani, 1438 A.H
|Dates of the Conference
||3-4 May, 2017 / 7- 8 Sha’ban, 1438 A.H
|Venue of the Conference
Quaid-e-Azam Auditorium, Faisal Masjid Campus,
International Islamic University Islamabad, Pakistan
Contact: 0092 321 5232721, 0092 51 9019684, 0092 51 9019916, 0092 51 9258039
Conference Secretariat: Room No. A009, Faculty of Shariah & Law, Imam Abu Hanifah Block,
International Islamic University Islamabad, H-10, Islamabad, Pakistan
- Hafiz Muhammad Siddique
- Usman Rafiq
- Maryam Shafique
- Mahvish Rani
|0092 321 523 2721 / 0092 51 9019684
0092 51 9019916 / 0092 51 9258039
|0092 51 9019 341
0092 51 9019 318
|Email of Conference Secretariat